Wednesday, August 27, 2014

{REVIEW} The Leopard Vanguard by T.A. Uner

Title: The Leopard Vanguard
Author: T. A. Uner
Series: Leopard King Saga #1
Genre: Fantasy, Roman Empire
Publication: October 7th, 2014
Rating: ★★★☆☆ +0.5

Set during the early years of the reign of the Mad Emperor Caligula,this first installment of the Leopard King Saga introduces us to Tullus, a gifted Roman Centurion who resigns his elite position in the Praetorian Guard to join a troupe of circus performers and learn more about his hidden magical talents. Along with his new partner, a magical Leopardess named Celestra, he re-invents himself as The Leopard King, the most famous entertainer in all the Roman Empire. But when Tullus’ friend and Circus Ringmaster, Paullus Gabinius, is killed, Tullus and Celestra find themselves immersed in political intrigue and up against Paullus’ killers. Their struggle to avenge Paullus will also cause them to cross paths with corrupt Roman politicians, who know Paullus’ deadly secret-which has the power to destroy the Roman Empire.
*received a copy in exchange for an honest review*

First things first: to be honest, I had a hard time getting into the story and everything else. I have never read a book like this before but the blurb of “The Leopard Vanguard” sounded super interesting and since the author was so kind and offered me to read it, I had to give it a go.

Tullus Acilius Ulixes is a really interesting and brave character. Actually I liked him a lot because he always seemed wise, strong, passionate and ambitious. Decimus, Paullus and Yeshiva were also likable and funny. I was a little annoyed with Eliana (at first, I liked her more towards the end) but really liked Anna – she’s such a strong and indepentent woman. And I think Norbanus has a lot potential! He’s interesting but also cruel and I’m torn if I should like him or not … oh well.

The story itself was thrilling and action packed. I hoped there would be more of the magic and less of the “normal” fighting scenes but that’s okay. It was bloody and gory and very intriguing but exactly as I would picture it to this time.

After all, I was surprised that I really enjoyed it, especially after the not-so-good start. The book has it’s flaws but a lot of good stuff too and is definitely worth a read for everyone who likes fantasy and history mixed with a little magic! ;)

★★★☆☆ +0.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥