Friday, September 19, 2014

{REVIEW} The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

Title: The 5th WaveAuthor: Rick Yancey
Series: The 5th Wave #1
Genre: Science Fiction, Dystopia, Aliens 
Publication: May 7th, 2013
Rating: ★★★★☆ +0.5

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan.

Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give or to get up.
“We’re here, and then we’re gone, and it’s not about the time we’re here, but what we do with the time.”

One word: Wow. But before I say anything else, I had a hard time to get into it at first. I don’t really know why … it’s captivating and thrilling and I was super excited but at the same time I was constantly confused and irritated!

Cassie is an awesome character! She’s badass and brave and strong and sceptical about everything, which is good because … well, aliens? war? She’s alone and there are “Silencers” everywhere? You can’t just run around and trust everyone you see … I loved Cassie’s thoughts and also her humor! It’s like I relived her memories and emotions and all the danger … but without actual aliens here. :)

I liked the changing POV’s a lot! Especially Ben Parish’s POV was amazing to read and I always looked forward to them - I really started to like him and I was so scared he might die or get killed or something else might happen to him, ugh. But Sams! I loved how protective Ben was over him!

“I don’t care what the stars say about how small we are. One, even the smallest, weakest, most insignificant one, matters.”

Another favorite was, of course, Evan Walker! He’s a perfect, goodlooking farm boy that washes your hair, cooks you food and always helps you in general. He’s also super good with guns and other weapons … quite handy during an alien invasion, right? Gosh, I loved him so so much! At first I wasn’t sure about him and especially when I read Cassie’s sceptical thoughts … well, I agreed with her. His scenes with Cassie were all amazing! I loved every little one of them, no matter how tiny and unimportant they were!

The story/plot itself was thrilling and very well thought out! I never read alien-invasion stories or something like that but of course I saw some movies and knew what I had to expect … and still, this was SO MUCH BETTER! Everything made sense in the end and well, talking about the end …

HOW AWESOME AND CRUEL AT THE SAME TIME WAS THAT?!? It leaves you with so many questions and you’re worried about what happens next and if everyone survives and and and - just PERFECT! Damnit, I’m so excited for “The Infinite Sea” now! I can’t wait to continue the amazing journey with all those amazing characters!

★★★★☆ +0.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.