Thursday, October 9, 2014

{REVIEW} Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Title: Delirium
Author: Lauren Oliver
Series: Delirium #1
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopia
Publication: February 3rd, 2011
Rating: ★★☆☆☆

Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.
The important message first : it's not gonna be a review about how much I enjoyed this book or something like that ... because I didn't. Honestly? It was a torture and I know this is mean but it was boring and I just didn't like it!

Before I started the book I saw the pilot of the series that got cancelled ... basically I already knew what would happen since this one episode is the whole first book. And still I enjoyed the episode so much more! I loved it, actually! I was hooked, wanted to read the book and because everyone rated it so good I had high expectations ... but obviously mine were too high.

The general idea of love as a disease was interesting and I was curious right from the beginning. I wanted to know why people think it's a disease, why it's bad to love or feel something at all but I got tired of it -and the rest of the book - pretty quickly.


Lena bothered me a lot. She was annoying and her thoughts and actions always differed - one moment she thinks something is good and she should do it and the next it's bad and against the system, so she can't do it. She was so frustrating and there was no real character development ... you could say that in the end she changed a bit but no. She's still the same naive and stubborn girl. And seriously, I've never read a book where beauty seemed so important - Lena is plain and normal, not "good-looking" but not ugly and to Alex she's just beautiful - everyone seemed to care about her beauty but WHY? Was it important? I didn't get it.


Alex was the only good thing in this book - he was the only character I REALLY liked and cared about. He seemed normal and nice and yes, sometimes, although he also annoyed me from time to time with his "oh Lena, I understand, don't worry. Whatever you do I'm not mad", he was the one person that kept me reading.


I really tried to love or at least like this book as much as everyone else, but I just couldn't. There were some good scenes that I enjoyed, some talks that made me smile but I didn't feel it, you know? I didn't care about Lena or Carol or Rachel or whoever it is and I don't know why. Maybe because of the writing style of Lauren? Because I already knew what would happen? But that wouldn't explain why I loved the pilot but not the book.


Well, whatever it is I'm glad now that I finally finished it and I doubt that I'll ever read the other 2 books - at least not now or in the near future.

★★☆☆☆

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you. This book took me a while to finish as well. I ended up enjoying the ending and whatnot, but it annoyed me too. It was just okay for me and I don't think I'll continue the series. I am curious since everyone rates it so high and it's so amazing to them, but I just doubt it. D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! Maybe the second book would be better? I don't know and to be honest, I don't really care. Lena annoyed the hell out of me and I just can't read 2 more books out of her POV. Nope. Not going to happen. Never.

      Delete
  2. This is actually one of my all time favorite YA series. I understand what you mean about Lena, but I guess I just read it as her being conflicted about the society she grew up in. I think she really showed her colors when she fought to escape having the procedure done. But we all read things differently, lol. Sorry you didn't like it.

    Brittany @ http://www.spacebetweenthespines.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanted to like it! Everyone I asked said it's amazing and has high ratings - maybe I shouldn't have watched the pilot episode, i don't know. It had moments that I enjoyed and where I liked everything but then again something happened and I was back to being completely annoyed. Oh well, like you said, not everyone's opinion is the same. :D

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.