Sunday, November 23, 2014

{REVIEW} Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Series: The Lunar Chronicles #1
Genre: Young Adult, Retelling, Dystopia
Publication: January 3rd, 2012
Rating: ★★★★★

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.
I was so excited when I ordered Cinder and couldn't wait to read it but for some reason I postponed it. I don't know why it took me so long to actually start it. I'm just glad I finally got the chance to read it because it's amazing! I loved every little scene of it! Marissa Meyer's imagination is brilliant, her descriptions of the characters and the surroundings are fantastic and so detailed. I had absolutely no problems to vision everything. Sure, at first I didn't know what to think of all the cyborgs and androids but now, after all, it makes perfectly sense.

"Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time."

Cinder Linh is a total badass! I loved her from the very beginning and my opinion of her didn't falter. Not one bit. She's brave, strong, sarcastic and so, so clever! She doesn't need a guy to watch out for her and yet she's still so lovely and cute. Does that make sense? Her entire image enthralled me ... Cinder(ella) being a mechanic and oh, also a cyborg? That's awesome! Honest, passionate, caring, loyal - she's ALL that and so much more! I would want someone like her as a best friend, I mean seriously, who wouldn't?

And then there's Prince Kaito. My dear, Kai. Oh how I love him. He's so handsome and sweet. I could imagine him PERFECTLY. Flirting with me Cinder, smiling his gorgeous smile at me her and just being himself. He's great and I understand why everyone of those 200.000 single girls (according to Cinder) fell for him. Make that 200.001, Cinder, because I did too. What I really liked is that it isn't about the typical "insta-love". Yes, there's a strong attraction and chemistry between those 2 but they're not immediately head over heels in love. It's a slow development with super cute ups and then there are massive downs. It's great.

Cinder twisted up her lips. "Do you think it could have a virus?"
"Maybe her programming was overwhelmed by Prince Kai's uncanny hotness."

Generally I have to say that I liked and/or disliked every character as it was intended. Disliked the obvious evil and cruel characters, such as Queen Levana and her entourage but also Adri and Pearl and liked the others. Peony warmed my heart and I was glad she and Cinder got along well. Iko is also a very lovely person android and besided Peony someone who managed to bring a smile to my lips. Dr. Erland is another character I liked a lot! Especially because he encouraged Cinder and tried to help her and towards the end ... oh well, I just like this "crazy" old man! I hope to see him again! I didn't trust the emperor's/prince' advisor although there was no real reason? So far at least, I don't know about the other books yet. At times he seemed very suspicious but then again not so much. He just confused me.

The plot was a bit predictable but still very entertaining. The ideas of the author were interesting and refreshing and altogether with the characters, the scenery and everything else it was a pleasure to read "Cinder"! I enjoyed it immensely and never got bored. Quite the opposite! I couldn't get enough once I started and even read it in a day and a half. It just captivated me. So, if you like fairytales/retellings, great characters, cyborgs and lots of awesomeness, I totally recommend this! And now I'm more than read for book 2 - I'm looking forward to read it as soon as possible!

★★★★★

6 comments:

  1. I'm SO glad you liked this! I think you'll like the sequels pretty well, too. ^-^ And Iko is so adorable. I got to meet Marissa Meyer when she came to my town on a book tour for Scarlet and I got a "I Heart Iko" pen that's on my backpack.

    Get to reading the other ones and let me know what you think!

    Brittany @ Space Between the Spines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are the sequels in another POV? I have actually no idea but I can't wait to read them! I finished it so quickly and it was so easy to read throught ... great book! ♥

      What? You're so lucky, ugh! Here in Austria I never get to meet any authors - they're never coming here, oh well. But I bet that pen is super cute! :D

      Btw, I'm SO glad you're back again! I've been checking your blog quite a few times and already thought you're gone for good ... phew. :)

      Delete
  2. Yes, Scarlet and Cress are both different female leads and POVs, but you'll see recurring characters like Cinder, Kai, and Levana. I personally like Scarlet and Cress better than Cinder. =P

    Aww! *Hugs* It must be really hard to live so far away. Before you know it, there will be an epic Austrian authors and you'll be super lucky to live there!

    And thanks so much for your kind words! I've been wanting to get back to my blog for a while, but school and work have definitely kept me busy. The semester's coming to a close now, though, so I'm hoping to be one more regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Now I'm even MORE looking forward to read them, damnit. I heard they're amazing. I so can't wait to continue! :D

      Oh well, I don't think so, haha. But we'll see, maybe someday I'll be able to meet someone. :)

      Delete
  3. hahaha :D You're rather funny you know that.. I didn't get the 200.000 thing (obvs.. I haven't read the book YET) but I definitely know what you meant, I feel much the same about Etienne St Clair in Anna and the French Kiss... Along with every other teenage girl who's read the book that is. I love a good love interest, me! Romance is a big bit of why I read
    To be fair though, I think most plots are kind of predictable when you read as many books as us!! It's difficult to be original to a book blogger you know :3 Mind you, saying that, plot twists always catch me off guard. I can see how the book will most likely end, but I can't always tell how they're going to get there
    GREAT BLOG! Definitely confirmed you as my new favourite blogger :3 Will be reading this book very soon thanks to you. Glad I followed x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Etienne St Clair ... I have yet to meet him! "Anna and the French Kiss" is on my christmas wishlist! I've heard only amazing things about the books by Stephanie Perkins and can't wait to read them!

      Plot twists are AWESOME - I would totally recommend you "The Murder Complex" by Lindsay Cummings, if you haven't read it yet ... one of the most amazing books with so many great and unpredictable plot twists, it's INSANE how brilliant it is!

      Awww, you're the sweetest, thank you! *hugs you tight* ♥ I just hope you'll enjoy it and won't be disappointed! :/

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.