Tuesday, January 13, 2015

{REVIEW} Looking for Alaska by John Green

Title: Looking for Alaska
Author: John Green
Series: Stand-alone
Genre: Young Adult, Fiction, Contemporary
Publication: February 28th, 2013
Rating: ★★★☆☆ +0.5

Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter's whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (François Rabelais, poet) even more. He heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.

After. Nothing is ever the same.

It's my second book by John Green after I read "The Fault in our Stars" one or two years ago and although it's been a while I still had high expectations. Probably too high. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it and I also liked the characters and the story in general ... I just think something was missing. I don't even know what exactly but it didn't feel complete.

"The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive."

The characters, like I said, were great! John Green has a talent for creating realistic and unique characters that are fun to read about. They were all so different and complemented each other perfectly. I have to say that Alaska really annoyed me at some times - always so moody and mysterious, I almost couldn't stand it any longer but now that I think about it ... well, maybe that's what made her her. I still enjoyed the scenes with her and Pudge because with him she was a bit different. Maybe less annoying, I don't know. Takumi and the Colonel, on the other hand, were amazing. I loved them both a lot and Pudge, the main character, was also awesome. I loved that he's obsessed with famous last words!

I liked that the book was divided into "BEFORE" and "AFTER" and because I didn't peek I was super curious throughout the whole before and desperately wanted to know what the after is about. There were also no chapters but instead Green used days, which reminded me a bit of a diary or something like that.

Some things were predictable but nevertheless gripping. Even though I knew why Alaska left that night I still pondered over how things happened - exactly like Pudge, the Colonel and Takumi. Their last prank during Speakers Day to remember Alaska was brilliant and I enjoyed it a lot. The same goes for the last few pages and the essay. I think that was actually quite a nice ending to the book.

All in all it was a good book! I expected a bit more but still enjoyed it. So if you're interested just read it and give it a try! :)

★★★☆☆ +0.5

4 comments:

  1. I would stop reading John Green books here to be honest! If you keep reading, though his writing is still fantastic, his plots and characters just seem to blur together into a bad case of de ja vu! It's enjoyable, but you fall completely out of love with him! He's got a new book coming out this year though, maybe that will be is come back??
    As you know well I am a hug fan of your blog so I tagged you in the Reader Problems Tag!! Here it is! http://prescriptionfiction.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/reader-problems-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I've heard Papertowns and Looking for Alaska are quite similar ... Will Grayson, Will Grayson on the other hand is apparently really funny and good. I don't know, ahhh.

      Awwww thank you, sweetheart! I'll do it as soon as possible! :D *hugs you tight* ♥

      Delete
  2. I have heard that many of his books tend to be the same. I have read The Fault in Our Stars and Paper Towns. Paper Towns was really good, but there were some things that were the same. I look forward to reading Looking for Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that too ... if that's really the case I don't know if I'm going to read the others. At least not soon. We'll see, "Will Grayson" is really good I've heard so maybe that's a bit different. :D

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.