Monday, June 8, 2015

{REVIEW} Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Title: Anna Dressed in Blood
Author: Kendare Blake
Series: Anna #1
Genre: Young Adult, Horror, Paranormal
Publication: October 17th, 2011
Rating: ★★★★☆

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.

So did his father before him, until he was gruesomely murdered by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. They follow legends and local lore, destroy the murderous dead, and keep pesky things like the future and friends at bay.

Searching for a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas expects the usual: track, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, now stained red and dripping with blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.

Yet she spares Cas's life.
I'll just admit it: I loved this book! Right from the beginning I knew this is something for me ... I mean, horror? Hell yes. Ghosts? Perfect! A ghost hunter called Cas? YES, YES, YES! His name alone made me pretty excited because it reminded me of Castiel from Supernatural - even though they don't have anything in common ... but still.

"I think of her again. Anna. Anna Dressed in Blood. I wonder what tricks she'll try. I wonder if she'll be clever. Will she float? Will she laugh or scream?
How will she try to kill me?"

In general this whole book felt like an episode from Supernatural. I could picture everything and it was like watching it on TV with a little more added details, like Cas' thoughts and everything. Just great! Supernatural is one of my favorite series ever, so of course I was hooked immediately and was happy about all the similarities to the show ... Cas' name, that his father was killed by something evil and now he wants to track it down and kill it himself, the ghosts and other monster and the huntings as well.

Cas was a really likeable character and I'm glad we got his POV! I feel like there are too many female POV's and I'm glad this book is not one of them. He's brave and confident when it comes to killing ghost and other creepy creatures but also kind of awkward and lonely. Then there's our other main character, Anna. She was fascinating! I loved her story and what we found out about her life before she died ... she did some pretty horrible things and I couldn't quite forget them while reading the book but she proved to be more than just a vengeful ghost that likes to kill people. She's actually pretty cool and I liked the relationship that formed between her and Cas ... although it seemed a bit forced and unrealistic. I still wanted it to work though, oh well. The heart wants what the heart wants, right?

"You make me want things I can't have."

As of the horror I can't say much. I read a couple of other reviews and most of them said it was kind of creepy but I didn't feel it. I haven't read many horror books but my recent reads (Say Her Name & Shutter) were a lot more scary than this one. In fact I never was scared? Or freaked out? However, I still believe that it could give someone goosebumps, so who knows what you'll feel? :D

The ending made me pretty excited for the next/last book and I have no doubt Cas will find a way to sort things out. I'd recommend this to people who want to read some (YA) horror books but haven't tried anything out yet. It's a bit spooky but there are also lots of funny and romantic scenes - a good start for reading horror books in general! :)

★★★★☆

6 comments:

  1. Nice! I liked that you liked it. ;) I won this last year, but still haven't gotten around to reading it yet. But I'm pretty excited for the story, and for Kendare Blake's style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, awesome! It's really easy and a quick read! I hope you'll like it too once you read it ... sometime, haha. :D

      Delete
  2. Nooooo! This one of the books I wanted to buy next because I was hoping for it to be super scary!! :( I love supernatural though, so I'm probably still going to buy it because of the parallels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For ME it wasn't super scary ... are you easily scared? Like I mentioned, I read some reviews were people really thought this is scary and creepy but idk. Maybe because I watch horror movies it wasn't? I hope you'll enjoy it though, hopefully it is scary for you! :D

      Delete
  3. I'm glad to see you liked this one! I really liked it too; I read it a few months ago. I liked how it was a bit darker and had ghosts. I've not read many ghost stories. Great review!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I wanted to read more "horror" books and well, I'm usually afraid of ghost movies (ugh) so I hoped this would be really scary ... sadly it wasn't but I still enjoyed it a lot! I'm glad you liked it too & thank you! :D ♥

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.