Sunday, July 26, 2015

{REVIEW} A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

Title: A Court of Thorns and Roses
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses #1
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Publication: May 5th, 2015
Rating: ★★★★★

Feyre’s survival rests upon her ability to hunt and kill – the forest where she lives is a cold, bleak place in the long winter months. So when she spots a deer in the forest being pursued by a wolf, she cannot resist fighting it for the flesh. But to do so, she must kill the predator and killing something so precious comes at a price.

Dragged to a magical kingdom for the murder of a faerie, Feyre discovers that her captor, his face obscured by a jewelled mask, is hiding far more than his piercing green eyes would suggest. Feyre’s presence at the court is closely guarded, and as she begins to learn why, her feelings for him turn from hostility to passion and the faerie lands become an even more dangerous place. Feyre must fight to break an ancient curse, or she will lose him forever.
Where do I even start? I absolutely ADORED this book. Seriously, once I was finally into it (around page 130) I couldn't get enough. After reading Throne of Glass last month I knew ACOTAR could only be awesome. I had high expectations but well, Sarah J. Maas definitely lived up to all of them!

However, I have to say that the beginning was very, very slow. For me at least. I had trouble getting into the story and didn't even care about the characters. That all changed when I was introduced to Tamlin, Lucien and Prythian (the faerie world) itself. It's magical! I could imagine almost everything perfectly because SJM described it so, so well! I loved all the little details and constantly wanted to know more about the world ... and the characters, of course.

"We need hope, or else we cannot endure."

Feyre is one great main character! She's clever, brave and already had to go through a lot with/because of her family. And yet she still cares about/for them. I just like her loads. Then there's Tamlin. Ohhh, sweet Tamlin. I like him, I really do, but I'll explain later why I'm not head over heels in love with him. I just can't be anymore, although I was at the beginning. He's very, very sweet and passionate and I loved all his scenes with Feyre so much! I also have to mention Lucien. Man, I love this guy! At first I thought he's a total douche but then he started doing ... things and I was so thankful for him. He's an amazing friend, I think, and I just wanted to hug him all the time. 

Now, this character deserves a new paragraph: Rhysand. Yes, he's getting a paragraph ONLY for him! Can I just say that I love him? While reading about Rhys I had this case of "Warner" ... I love Warner from Shatter Me SOOOO MUCH. I feel like it'll be the same with Rhysand. I feel it deep in my bones. His character is so complex and interesting and I just know there's so much more about him to reveal. I can't wait to see his "real" character and get to know him better! Bring it on, Sarah!

"Be glad of your human heart, Feyre. Pity those who don't feel anything at all."

My conclusion is that I just want EVERYONE to read this! If you liked ToG, I'm sure you'll love ACOTAR as much and even if you didn't like it you should definitely give it a try ... it's different - I mean, it's a retelling of Beauty and the Beast
(kind of) ... that alone is awesome! -, unique, worth your time and definitely deserves all the hype.

10 comments:

  1. Whoa! Your Goodreads updates! lol xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knooow! I thought I'd just include them ... I usually don't update as much on Goodread (at least not like THAT), haha :D

      Delete
  2. SO MANY GOODREADS UPDATES! Also, RHYSAND!!! I'm glad you love him as much as I do. I'm looking forward to the next book and all of those days in the Night Court. Yes, yes, yes! So glad you loved it!
    -Monica @ Tomes Project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's freaking AWESOME! I can't wait to read more about him ... and also the ending!!!! WHAT WAS THAT?!?

      Delete
  3. LOL i love your GR updates! You sound like me when I was reading it (:
    Also, I am SO GLAD you love Rhys as well. Now I don't feel so entirely creepy and alone hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha :D You're definitely NOT alone! I was afraid I'd be weird for liking him but there are looooads of people who love him! I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND! :D

      Delete
  4. Rhysand.. Typical case of a guy you really shouldn't but can't help loving. I really like that last quote. There was something really intense in the way he said that to Feyre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Like with many others. *sigh* I'm so excited to find out more about him!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.