Monday, August 24, 2015

{REVIEW} World After by Susan Ee

Title: World After
Author: Susan Ee
Series: Penryn & the End of Days #2
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopia, Paranormal
Publication: November 21st, 2015
Rating: ★★★★ +0.5

When a group of people capture Penryn's sister Paige, thinking she's a monster, the situation ends in a massacre. Paige disappears. Humans are terrified. Mom is heartbroken.

Penryn drives through the streets of San Francisco looking for Paige. Why are the streets so empty? Where is everybody? Her search leads her into the heart of the angels' secret plans where she catches a glimpse of their motivations, and learns the horrifying extent to which the angels are willing to go.

Meanwhile, Raffe hunts for his wings. Without them, he can't rejoin the angels, can't take his rightful place as one of their leaders. When faced with recapturing his wings or helping Penryn survive, which will he choose?
Once again Susan Ee managed to completely draw me into her world ... I adored Angelfall so, so much and to be honest I still don't know why it took me so long to read the second book. I'm just glad I finally got around doing so because it was FREAKING AWESOME!

Gosh, I almost forgot how much I love Penryn! Also I'm still so in love with her name! She's one of the most badass characters I've ever read about and a really great heroine. She's determinded, brave, kickass and doesn't need other people to fight her fights. She's special in her own way, without any powers or something like that ... I just love her!

Then there's Raffe. Oh, how I missed him! I adored Penryn and Raffe's banter in the first book and wanted to see more of that but honestly? I valued/worshipped all of his scenes in World After so much more. Because we didn't get to see him that often, I anticipated every moment and was soooo happy whenever I catched a glimpse of him or read about a memory from Pooky Bear. Those memories were amazing btw! I wanted to read soooo many more!!! Pooky Bear in general is pretty cool ... such an awesome sword! *sigh*

I'm also very happy with the romance in this series. It's such a slow-built connection that forms between Raffe and Penryn and even though I wanted things to speed up, I'm glad that didn't happen. Everything's perfect the way it is and I can't wait to read more about these 2 in End of Days, ahhh!!!

World After is definitely darker than I expected it to be at first. I mean, Angelfall was already pretty dark but some scenes in this book were just horrifying and terrible. Especially the ones on Alcatraz ... and I still think those scorpion-freaks are some of the worst monster ever!

I feel like I also have to mention Paige. Everything she's been through is just cruel and unfair and even though I didn't really like or cared about her in the first book, I changed my opinion. We found out a bit more about the time when she was away from Penryn and her mom and ... it wasn't pretty. I was so emotional during these scenes because she's so tiny and helpless and what they did to her was horrible! Poor, little girl!

My conclusion is that I highly enjoyed this book! I already recommended Angelfall a hundred times and if you haven't read it yet, please go and buy it soon! It's definitely worth it and the second one also lives up to its expectations - although it might seem a little slow at first, but please don't let this bother you too much!

★★★★ +0.5

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved Book 1 & 2 in the series. The last one was a tad disappointing though. Nevertheless to me this is one of the most underrated trilogies ever!

    Lover, Kerstin
    http://www.missgetaway.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't finished it but this FINAL battle hasn't even started yet and I only have 10 chapters left ... I just hope the ending won't be TOO rushed or TOO disappointing! The first 2 were amazing!! <3

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.