Thursday, November 5, 2015

{REVIEW} Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender

Title: Bad Girls Don't Die
Author: Katie Alender
Series: Bad Girls Don't Die #1
Genre: Young Adult, Horror, Paranormal
Publication: January 1st, 2009
Rating: ★★★★☆

Alexis thought she led a typically dysfunctional high school existence. Dysfunctional like her parents' marriage; her doll-crazy twelve-year-old sister, Kasey; and even her own anti-social, anti-cheerleader attitude. When a family fight results in some tearful sisterly bonding, Alexis realizes that her life is creeping from dysfunction into danger. Kasey is acting stranger than ever: her blue eyes go green sometimes; she uses old-fashioned language; and she even loses track of chunks of time, claiming to know nothing about her strange behavior. Their old house is changing, too. Doors open and close by themselves; water boils on the unlit stove; and an unplugged air conditioner turns the house cold enough to see their breath in.

Alexis wants to think that it's all in her head, but soon, what she liked to think of as silly parlor tricks are becoming life-threatening--to her, her family, and to her budding relationship with the class president. Alexis knows she's the only person who can stop Kasey -- but what if that green-eyed girl isn't even Kasey anymore?
Okay, so either I'm completely emotionless or this wasn't scary AT ALL. Whyyyy can't I read a book that REALLY scares the crap out of me?! Haven't found one yet ... does anyone have a recommendation? Anyways, I still enjoyed this book a lot! It's my first by Katie Alender so I have nothing to compare it with but I'll definitely read the other two books of this trilogy too!

"I longed to be wrapped in his arms again, pour my troubles, make everything feel okay, even if it wasn't."

The characters weren't really deep but I liked them enough to care about their fate, even though they annoyed me sometimes. I guess that's normal. Alexis wasn't really a "special" character - except for her pink hair - and the rest of them were all pretty normal either. I didn't expect them to be geniuses or anything but that way you could replace them very easily and I wouldn't care. They just were there and that's it, oh well. Carter Blume was Alexis' love interest and while it did feel a little insta-love-ish, it didn't bother me too much because most of the time he wasn't even a part of the book. It was actually good that way - no cheesy romance or anything, it was just sweet and really cute.

The storyline was very predictable but, again, I didn't mind ... I mean, most of the ghost stories are predictable so I already knew what to expect. There were a few scenes that were a little creepy, or well, at least had the potential to be scary so that was pretty cool.

"Just say something real. Everyone just always tries so hard, and it all comes out the same. I just want someone to say something real."

All in all, I'd recommend reading this book if you like ghost stories and well ... dolls. Seriously, how can someone have so many dolls in a room and NOT be freaked out? That's just ... nope. The book has its flaws but kept my attention and was thrilling enough for me to turn the pages a lot faster than I expected to. Definitely a great read for Halloween!

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a pretty good read! I can't think of one that's actually scared me in the past. I'll be interested to see what others suggest :) And yeah, a room full of dolls would creep me out *shivers*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely entertaining, yes! It's so hard to find a book that's really scary ... *sigh*

      Delete
  2. for a book that was released in 2009, this is the second review I see of it today o.o odd.. sorry it didn't scare you though XD i don't normally read horror so I don't have a recommendation, even the ones I recently read are not that scary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? Huh. I guess I wasn't the only one reading it in October, haha. Thanks for thinking of a recommendation though - I'm always up for other books too, so if there's anything you can recommend, let me know!! :D

      Delete
  3. I totally recommend Welcome to the Dark House if you haven't read it yet! It definitely kept my heart rate up! I had this one for awhile, but never read it. I ended up donating it... It sounds like I might have made the right decision. Great review though! :D

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy! ♥ I already read Welcome to the Dark House and hiiiighly enjoyed it! It was really, really good and I'm so excited to read the second book! To be honest, I only got it because of your review, so thanks for that, haha. :D

      Delete
  4. Okay Yvonne you are CRAZY hahaha, even the synopsis scared the hell out of me and I'm not going anywhere near this book!!! But I am really easily scared hehehe! :D Great review <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! I knew I'm weird, hahaha. Maybe I just watched too many horror movies already and don't get scared so easily anymore ... ohhhhh well. :P Thank you! <3

      Delete
  5. YA horror is definitely not my favourite genre but I'm intrigued by Bad Girls Don't Die :) This might be a good one to break me into the genre. Thanks for sharing and great review!

    Zareena @ The Slanted Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you easily scared? Or why don't you like it so much? I could recommend you some others too, if you end up enjoying it, haha. And thank you! <3

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥