Monday, December 21, 2015

{REVIEW} November 9 by Colleen Hoover

Title: November 9
Author: Colleen Hoover
Series: Stand-alone
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Publication: November 10th, 2015
Rating: ★★★☆☆

Fallon meets Ben, an aspiring novelist, the day before her scheduled cross-country move. Their untimely attraction leads them to spend Fallon’s last day in L.A. together, and her eventful life becomes the creative inspiration Ben has always sought for his novel. Over time and amidst the various relationships and tribulations of their own separate lives, they continue to meet on the same date every year. Until one day Fallon becomes unsure if Ben has been telling her the truth or fabricating a perfect reality for the sake of the ultimate plot twist.
Alright, this is a premiere. My first Colleen Hoover book that didn't get a solid 5 star rating! I know, I know, I shouldn't get into reading her any books with such high expectations but since I enjoyed - and even loved - all her previous ones ... of course I expected to love this one as well. Needless to say that I absolutely didn't get what I hoped for. Sadly.

Don't get me wrong, it was still an enjoyable read and the characters were quite likable (most of the time) but all in all just ... average. I'm not used to write stuff like that about a CoHo book but ... am I really the only one who feels like that? At least among my friends on Goodreads, (almost) everyone seemed to LOVE it and it gave it 5 stars. Hmmm.

I just wasn't invested in the characters and/or storyline. Sure, there were some funny and sweet scenes but overall it wasn't as emotional as her other books. For me that's really important. I don't mind when a book gives me all the feels - quite the opposite, I WANT THEM! - and usually I get them very easily while reading Colleen's books but apparently not this time. *sigh*

Benton Kessler is another reason I couldn't give this more stars. That he's a writer made me really excited and curious. At first he seemed intriguing? Fascinating? I just liked him but as Fallon's and his relationship progressed, I just ... no. There were some things he did/said that REALLY disturbed me and where I was like: "Ummm, stop? Like, right now?". So while I liked him in the beginning, I didn't really care about him throughout the rest of the book, even though he had some cute moments and helped Fallon in some way. Speaking of Fallon O'Neil, she was ... kind of relatable? She's scarred, insecure and has issues that she doesn't really know how to get over. Honestly, it felt good to read how she slowly accepted and started to love herself. Also, I liked her humour a lot. She's great!

As usual there was some drama that could've easily been solved if people would only TALK with each other - if nothing, at least it taught me this. The ending was quite touching though - it even made me sympathize with Ben - and was a lot better than the middle part. We also got a little surprise and met some characters from another Colleen Hoover book, which was VERY sweet! Me likey!

So, even though I only gave this 3 stars it's definitely NOT a bad book - it just didn't really work for me. Nonetheless I would recommend you to read Colleen's books. She's still one of the most talented and amazing Contemporary Romance writers and you're definitely missing out on something if you don't even give them a try . It's worth it, so please go check them out!


★★★

6 comments:

  1. I've only read 1 CoHo book, and that was Maybe Someday. It was amazing, so I'm hoping to read some more of her books soon, but this one has something that doesn't appeal to me. I've heard a few people saying that they weren't keen on Ben, and I think I would feel the same. This doesn't look like it would be the one for me, but I still really hope to read some other books by her.

    Great review, Yvonne! Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)
    Denise | The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You loved Maybe Someday? Yaaas!!! This is my favorite by her, so you started off pretty good, haha. ♥

      Ben is ... well. He did/said some things that weren't okay and therefore I didn't like him as much as I thought I would. You should definitely check out her other books though - I read "Ugly Love", which gave me ALL THE FEELS and made me ugly-cry a lot. "Confess" was very emotional as well (the prologue. Oh my god. I already cried there!) and her mini-series "Never Never" is good too, in my opinion. Less emotional but more of a WTF?! thing. It's confusing and mysterious but I liked it! :D

      Delete
  2. I totally felt the same way with N9. It seemed like everything happened at the end. Confess wasn't one of my favorites either. I love her other books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean ... some chapters were really boring and not much happened. I'm not used to that - usually I rush through everything she writes but not with this one. It annoyed me a little bit, haha. :D

      Delete
  3. This review only makes me want to read the book more, to see how I'll like it. Sooooon... hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really, really HOPE you'll love it! I wish I would've, haha. :D Let me know when you get to it! <3

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥