Tuesday, December 8, 2015

{REVIEW} Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Title: Six of Crows
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Series: Six of Crows #1
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Publication: September 29th, 2015
Rating: ★★★★★

Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...

A convict with a thirst for revenge.
A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager.
A runaway with a privileged past.
A spy known as the Wraith.
A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums.
A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.

Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz's crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction—if they don't kill each other first.
OH MY GOD. Those are the first words that came to my mind. I mean ... well, I'm speechless, I think? WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST READ?! I loved the Grisha Trilogy but this one? Ultimately better. Everyone's been so hyped and made me really excited which led to me having super, super high expectations but ... It totally lived up to that! I'm actually so glad I took my time reading it - 2 weeks, people! IT TOOK ME TWO WEEKS!!! - because I had more of the characters, the world and the book itself.

"Better terrible truths than kind lies."

So, in Six of Crows we're following 6 incredible characters - Kaz, Inej, Nina, Matthias, Jesper & Wylan - on a mission that seems impossible and is bound to get everyone in trouble. Now, everyone who's read Shadow & Bone and the other two books knows that Leigh Bardugo is incredibly talented and writes amazing stuff, however, we only ever had one POV - Alina's. In this book there are 5 different POV's but don't worry, you won't get confused! Each characters is unique and has a past that made them all different and Bardugo definitely shows that in her writing.

I can't even pick a favorite character, to be honest. I'm 100% serious if I say I liked them all ... you just HAVE to. However, I have strong feels for Kaz. And Inej. And of course also Nina and Matthias. Just OH MY GOOOOOD. I love them all. And don't even get me started on the romance - it's subtle and not cheesy at all but oh-so heartwarming and sweet. Plus, there's not only one and I couldn't be happier about this!

"The heart is an arrow. It demands aim to land true."

Even though it took me two weeks to finish this piece of awesomeness, I couldn't stop reading. Or thinking of it, for that matter. I love the Grisha world and Six of Crows showed me again how much potential there is and how great it is to be so invested in a world like that with such brilliant characters.

The storyline was really, really, really amazing too! An impossible mission/job that can ruin everything if they fail? I mean, that alone sounds super interesting and dangerous but everything else this unlikely group discovers on their adventure adds a little bit more epicness to it. Everything just fits. It's like this whole concept is perfect and there's not one thing that doesn't make sense or doesn't fit. Or maybe I just can't think straight because I'm so hyped and in a fangirling mode ... I highly doubt that, haha.

What else can I say that makes you want to read this beauty ... if you DON'T want to read this by now then I don't know what's wrong with you, because it has everything you could wish for - brilliant, unique characters that you'll love, a detailed world that just sucks you in, no matter if you want to or not, and a thrilling plot that keeps you turning the pages faster than you can read. And the ending? Well, I'M CRAVING FOR BOOK 2! Ladies and Gentlemen, please go read this book IMMEDIATELY. You won't regret it.

★★★★★

11 comments:

  1. Aaaah, yes. It's perfect. <3 Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maaike! ♥ One of the BEST books I've read this year! :D

      Delete
  2. YAAAAAAY, I'm so so so glad you loved this as much as I did! :D Even though I knew you already loved it, it was so nice reading your review! EVERYBODY MUST READ THIS BOOK. Great review ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GAAAAH, I TOTALLY AGREE! Everyone has to read it. It's so, so great! ♥ And thank you, Anissa! *hugs you tight*

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. READ IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!! *ahem* Sorry for capslock but ... it's just TOO GOOD to not read asap! :D

      Delete
  4. Oh yay! Glad to see you so possitive about this one. :D
    Do you happen to know if you need to read the last Grisha book before Six of Crows or doesn't it matter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's not necessary, no. It just gives you a better idea of the whole world and it'll be easier to differ the different Grisha types - this can be a bit confusing but you'll also get it from only reading Six of Crows! :D

      Delete
    2. Thanks! That helps. I have read the first two Grisha books but a friend might want to buddy read it with me so I was wondering. :D

      Delete
  5. Yes to everything! Six of Crows blew me away, it was so much better than Grisha trilogy. And do not even start me on romance! *sigh* I ship Kaz & Inej so badly. Matthias & Nina as well. I think I am going to re-read this one couple of times before sequel is out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! Kaz & Inej give me life, ughhh! I love Matthias and Nina too but idk ... I really like Kaz. A LOT. And Inej is amazing - gosh, I just love them ALL soooo much! *___*

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥