Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Discussion: Visions of the future?

Hello everyone! I recently finished Pintip Dunn's Forget Tomorrow, a YA Sci-Fi/Dystopian novel, where the future and visions are very important - here's my {REVIEW}. This whole concept is super interesting and therefore I wanted to discuss it with you! :)

The concept


In the book, everyone gets a "memory" on their seventeenth birthday which will show them a certain moment of their life in the future. Who will you marry? What's your profession? Do you have kids? Generally speaking, will it be a good life or not? Any question can be covered (if you let it happen) and will decide about your future. Are you going to be a brilliant actor? Then you probably should start applying at an Academy. Will you be a cook but don't even know how to boil an egg? You better find out soon! You'll become a famous singer but only ever sung in your shower? Maybe you're not as bad as you thought. What I'm saying is that ... this memory is supposed to help you find guidance. The years up to your 17th birthday "won't matter". It's the life you build yourself after you received your glimpse in the future that matters.

Calla, the main protagonist in Forget Tomorrow, received a horrible vision. She's going to kill her younger sister. Why? That's the question she's been asking herself ever since they arrested her. The memories are "stored" in an Institue and can be viewed with a little black chip that'll be implemented in your skin. If your vision is bad - like Calla's, for example - the government is going to arrest you because you'll commit a crime in the future. If not you can live your life and work towards your vision.

I found that a very intriguing concept. I guess it's safe to say that we've all been at this point already - as sad as it may sound. Which job do I want to do? Should I study at an university? Which school will I attend? Even simpler questions, such as what I'm going to wear the next day can be super frustrating and a little help is always appreciated. In my case, at least. I was thinking about how life would be if everyone of us would get such a memory/vision of ourselves ...

The What-ifs


Well, the first question that popped into my mind was: "Would we even want that?" Life is full of surprises - good and bad ones - and if you know what's going to happen, won't it be ... boring? Especially if you can't even change what'll become of you, I can imagine it to be really frustrating. Let's say you want to become a writer and you absolutely love to write your own stories and are really good at it but, as your memory showed you, you'll eventually end up as a (famous) cook or something like that. It wouldn't be that bad either but what about your passion? About what you REALLY want to do with your life? You can't fight Fate (or can you? does Fate even exist?), so the most common decision would be to drop that passion and instead concentrate on what life will be like in the future, I guess? Of course you can still write and send out your books to publishers but knowing that you'll never make it to the top or to simply publish a book kind of ruins the fun, right? I would probably lose my motivation. If I know I'll never gonna make it, why even bother? That sounds so depressing, but I would definitely try!

It wouldn't affect us either way - of course I don't know how old everyone reading this is but I'm just assuming you're between 18-24 (please correct me if I'm completely wrong, haha). We'd be the "before-people" that didn't get any memories and therefore we're affected differently. Calla's mom also didn't receive her vision and therefore was downgraded to another job. Why would a boss take a risk when there are applicants promising to be a better cook/teacher/whatever with their memory chips? You can hardly say anthing against that.

But let's pretend for a moment that our future self is going to send us a memory. What would you want to see? Would you even want to get one?

I'm honestly not so sure about it. On the one hand, I would love to know something about the future-me, but on the other ... what if it's bad? Living in the here and now is a good thing, right? Sure, you have to think ahead a bit but you make assumptions. You can still change things if you're unhappy. You can be whatever you want. With that memory you might miss a few chances because you wouldn't go down a certain path if you already know the end result.

I'd love to know YOUR thoughts on this! What would your ideal future memory be like? Would you want to receive one?

14 comments:

  1. Oh wow. This is messed up. I don't know? Like, I would love a positive message. If I could see my future husband right now I'd say HELL YES, but what if the vision shows me I'll never find anyone to share my life with at all. God, that would ruin me. Or how amazing would it be if it would show me that yes, I am good enough to one day publish a book. That would be so great. But I really wouldn't want it to show me that it's never going to happen. Of course in my head I know that it probably won't, but there's still that small possibility, you know? There's hope. Possibility, choice. And I think I appreciate that a whole lot more than a good certainty. There's a John Green quote that works very well here. About how you shouldn't give up a happy middle in the hope of a happy ending, because there is so much to lose. That's how I feel. As much as I want the reassurance that my life is going to turn out just fine, I want the feeling that everything is still possible more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is messed up! I totally understand what you mean - that's also why I've been so conflicted. If it's a good memory, I'd LOVE to see it but on the other hand ... I don't know. It's difficult. There's so much you can miss in between if you know where your life is heading. The concept is super interesting though!

      Delete
  2. First of all, this book sounds awesome. I wanna read it! But I'm not sure if I'd want a future memory. Maybe if I'd know it would be a good one, but what if it's bad? I wouldn't want to know that at all. Loved this post, Yvonne! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel exactly the same way! I'm ready for a happy memory but please go away with the bad ones, haha. :D

      Delete
  3. Wow, the concept of this book is definitely interesting. I'm not sure I'd like to know though, because what about if I'm having a terrible life? I just want to experience everything and wouldn't want to be "spoiled" on my own life. Imagine you get a memory that shows you who you'll end up with and you hate that person? It would be so weird and I would fight against it so hard. Finally, if I had a memory that showed me my future job, would I work as hard as I can to have that job? Not necessarily because if it's "fate" I would be bound to it, right? Of course, it shows me the way, but once again, it kinda "spoils" me on what will happen.

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I didn't even think of that! You're right though, if I know I'll end up in a certain job why should I even bother to learn all those things? I'll get there eventually. Huh.

      That just brings me to another thought ... what if you didn't get a memory? Either you just didn't receive one or you couldn't get one because you're DEAD. Your future self wasn't even able to send you one because he/she isn't there anymore. PLOTTWIST.

      Delete
  4. This is definitely an interesting concept to think about, but no, I wouldn't want a vision of my future. The way I see it, that vision wouldn't be something you could change, so even if you tried to do the opposite, it would just lead you there in end, but it would be seeing the vision in the first place that would cause it, and it's all very confusing, and this is why I don't read time travel or psychic books lol.

    But no, it would screw with my head too much to know anything about my future. And as you said, part of the fun of life is the surprise. And if it ends up being bad, it could just cause you to kind of lose hope and give up, which would then definitely land you there whereas maybe fighting would've made your life better. You've got my head spinning now lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's indeed a little confusing and definitely screws with your head! Sorry. :P

      As it seems we're all on the same page, haha. Lucie (comment above) mentioned the word "spoiler" and I kind of agree with your ... this vision would be a spoiler of your life - I'm not sure if I want to be spoiled, haha. :D

      Delete
  5. This is a very interesting concept and post. The temptation to be able to see something from the future is strong, because it would be nice to have something to go on. But at the same time what if it locks you on a certain path so you don't consider other possibilities. You could close off a lot of potential happiness and joy. Plus it only shows a single moment of the future, without any context which isn't really that helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you! It would be nice to see something (hopefully good) from your future but if even, I'd prefer an insignificant memory, I think ... something that doesn't push me into JUST one direction, you know what I mean?

      Delete
  6. It's such a good question!
    I think, two years ago, I would have loved for future-me to give her a memory...but now, I wouldn't want future-me to give me a memory.
    Although it would be great to see how my life would unravel, it kinda takes away the unexpected nature that is life you know?
    You made some fantastic points, and I loved how this book made you think about this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The unexpected nature that is life. I love this and totally agree with you ... a little glimpse would be nice but I don't think that it should be something "important" - something that pushed me into ONE direction (like a certain job or so).

      Delete
  7. I think it's really sad in a way, that Calla is in prison for a crime she hasn't even committed yet.. What if she manages to not kill her sister? Like, if they both decide that they won't ever see each other again?
    I would definitely not want to know my life (even fragments of it) in advance - then there's no more adventure. And I think that even when we think we know something that will happen in advance, we can never be prepared for the actual happening. So we kind of worry twice - once because something is very likely to happen, and then when it does happen.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I know what you mean ... you're constantly thinking about this thing that will happen and you worry so much and when it ACTUALLY happens you're still not prepared. I guess I'd be like that - I worry way too much, haha. :D

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥