Sunday, May 15, 2016

{REVIEW} City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Title: City of Bones
Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments #1
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Publication: March 27th, 2007
Rating: ★★★☆☆ +0.5

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...
Yes, you see right. I finally gave in and read this book after debating whether I should do it or not for so long. I decided to give it a try - thanks to the Shadowhunters TV show, actually. I never read anything by Cassandra Clare, had no clue about the shadowhunter world but ever since I saw so many pictures/gifs and tweets about Malec on Twitter I couldn't ignore it any longer. I started the TV show and well ... things got out of hand pretty quickly.

Somehow I couldn't stop watching the show even though it wasn't that good. Seriously, it has major flaws - starting with the acting and going over to special effects - but after a few episodes I didn't care as much anymore. I can't give you a better explanation because I don't know it myself. It was strangely addictive and so I watched the whole season 1 within one and a half days. The main reason was probably Alec Lightwood and Magnus Bane. I'm full-on obsessed with these two and want to fangirl ALL DAY LONG. I felt all the feels and adore these two so, so much! The wedding scene? Yeah well, I can't even count how many times I've watched it by now. *sigh*

But back to the book! Despite my scepticism and hesitation for City of Bones, I really did enjoy reading it. I'm serious. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be ... quite the opposite, if I'm being honest.

At first I had a hard time getting into it. There was a lot of information dumped on the reader within the first few chapters and I think if I hadn't know at least a little bit about it I would've been overwhelmed. I get why Clary was so confused most of the time - I felt the same way. Also, Cassandra Clare seems to take details very seriously. Don't get me wrong, I love books with loads of details but here it almost felt too much. I skimmed a few parts and just quickly read over them without fully understanding/taking them it. It wasn't that important to me.

I had a problem with the characters at first - mostly because I was used to them from the show and now that they were described differently (also, they were a loooot younger!) and even had other personalities, I was a little bit torn. However, I really liked Jace! He's a lot funnier and more sarcastic in the book so that's a good thing! Actually, Cassie's humor is great! I laughed out loud a few times and smiled to myself over stupid jokes because they were ridiculous but still kinda good. I would've loved to read more about Magnus, Alec and Izzy because those characters were brilliant. Hoping there'll be more about them in the next books.

The plot itself was nothing new to me - especially because I had spoilery chats with some friends - but I was still curious and interested to find out more about everything and everyone. Towards the end there were amazing plot twists that I wouldn't have guessed before watching the show. They totally took me by surprise!

Overall, I didn't expect to enjoy City of Bones as much as I did in the end and will definitely continue with the series. It's not the best novel but also not the worst I've read - would I recommend it to others though? I'm not sure. I guess if you haven't read it by now but you're curious just go for it and see how it works out.

★★★☆☆ +0.5

8 comments:

  1. I enjoy Cassandra Clare's writings. City of Bones is a book that I bought for people I was gifting gifts too. They all loved it. I found it very intriguing. I have not seen the movies but I will look forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was better than expected, so I'm really glad I read it! Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  2. Yay! MALEC FTW! ♥ And yes, there will be more of them in the other books. Magnus is my favorite character in TMI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAAY! That makes me more excited to continue with the series, haha. :D

      Delete
  3. The book is so much better than the show! I'm the same though, I couldn't stop watching despite the flawed acting and effects. I read this years ago before the TV adaptation and enjoyed it a whole lot mostly because Clare excels in writing snappy dialogue and banter. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You think? Maybe it's because I've seen the show first and THEN read the book - I was so used to the tv show characters that I just couldn't connect with the ones from the book - they were so incredibly young, ugh!

      Delete
  4. Wow! Color me surprised. I remember (back before my blog died for a while) when you were pretty well convinced you wouldn't read the books. Welcome to the dark side. XD

    Personally, I find the books much better than the movie or show. I watched the movie and it was good for about the first thirty minutes, then it went downhill fast. I've heard some pretty... crappy things about the show, too, to say the least. XD

    I'll forever be a Malec shipper, though. I blame Clare for starting my YAOI interest, lol. You should look into reading The Bane Chronicles if Magnus is your favorite character. There's a super cute short Malec story in it. =3

    Brittany @ Space Between the Spines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brittany! I'm so happy to see you around again, haha. And believe me, I was surprised as well about me starting the series.

      The show is ... well, it's difficult. I've heard SO MANY bad things about it, really, but Malec sold me. I didn't know A THING about them and immediately fell in love - if something, THEY are worth watching the show, trust me. ♥

      I hope I can get to that book as well! Still have many to go, haha. Thanks so much for the recommendation though!

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥