Friday, May 20, 2016

Why ACOMAF will haunt my dreams | {REVIEW} A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas

Title: A Court of Mist and Fury
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses #2
Genre: Young/New Adult, Retelling, Fantasy
Publication: May 3rd, 2016
Rating: ★★★★★

Feyre is immortal.

After rescuing her lover Tamlin from a wicked Faerie Queen, she returns to the Spring Court possessing the powers of the High Fae. But Feyre cannot forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin's people - nor the bargain she made with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court.

As Feyre is drawn ever deeper into Rhysand's dark web of politics and passion, war is looming and an evil far greater than any queen threatens to destroy everything Feyre has fought for. She must confront her past, embrace her gifts and decide her fate.

She must surrender her heart to heal a world torn in two.
What's up with the title, you ask? Well, LET ME EXPLAIN. I will try to keep this as spoiler-free as possible - there'll be another post (Saturday or Sunday!) where I go into more detail and share ALL MY THOUGHTS on this glorious book - but don't worry, for now you're save.

A Court of Mist and Fury is the highly anticipated second book of the A Court of Thorns and Roses series by our beloved and amazingly talented Sarah J. Maas. Before you read anything else, let me just tell that I freaking adored this book - it was perfect and made me giggly, excited and above else, it gave me all the feels I was craving ever since I finished the first book. OH MY GOOOD. If I could, I'd give it a billion stars and more! It deserves as many stars as there are on the sky ... it was THAT good!

"There are different kinds of darkness," Rhys said. I kept my eyes shut. "There is the darkness that frightens, the darkness that soothes, the  darkness that is restful." I pictured each. "There is the darkness of  lovers, and the darkness of assassins. It becomes what the bearer wishes  it to be, needs it to be. It is not wholly bad or good."

One of SJM's strengths is being able to create fascinating characters with different layers and amazing character development. Seriously, I already liked Feyre in the first book - even though she was sometimes stupid and blinded by love, I admit - but in ACOMAF? She gets so much better. At first she's weak and thinks it's best to blend in and just accept how she's treated by everyone but eventually - and with a huge thanks to Rhysand - she sees that this is not okay. Absolutely not. She fights for the things most important to her, takes action instead of letting others fight/decide for her - I really adored her for seeing who she is; who she can be if she only fights hard enough.

"I would have torn apart the world to get you back."

And Rhysand? Well, I want to keep this review somewhat brief because the other post? Oh man, I'll go into much more detail about him but here I only want to say - he's an amazing character, a great man and even though he did terrible things in the first book (which are NOT to be excused just like that), he has his reasons. He did what he had to do - obviously that doesn't make it better but to understand him you should give him a chance to explain it properly. You wanna know, trust me. I see him as an understanding, supportive, loyal guy that is incredibly charming and has so many different sides to his personality. I LOVE HIM SO MUCH, OKAY? His relationship with Feyre is just beautiful ... there's hate at first followed by a companionship that grows into a friendship and eventually evolves into something more - also, there's LOADS of bickering and flirting involved, just saying.

The side characters, such as Amren, Cassian, Azriel and Mor - Rhysand's Inner Circle - were INCREDIBLE. I adored them all so, so much and I'm sure you will too. Each of them is different and the friendships blossoming in this book were all so beautiful. They were like family and that's what I loved so much.

Plot-wise I only want to say that it's thrilling and very, very interesting! There's so much to go through and discover but it never feels too much or out of place and ridiculous. It just makes sense and also give a loooot of potential for future novella's - I'm SO CURIOUS about The Prison & the Bone Carver, as well as Amren and The Weaver! There were plot twists I didn't see coming, others were a little predictable but it never got boring. You get bitchy, evil queens, loads of steamy and hot scenes, action-packed moments where you just wanna jump around because you're so excited and sweet, emotional scenes that'll make you go through a rollercoaster of feels.

"To the stars who listen— and the dreams that are answered."

So yes, I'm quite sure this book will not only haunt my dreams but also my every thought and waking moment because IT WAS EPIC and I can't get Rhys out of my head! This is bound to end in a major book hangover for everyone who's as obsessed with Sarah J. Maas and her books as me, so better prepare yourself. I'm 100% recommending this to EVERYONE. Just go get it immediately and do yourself a favor!

★★★★★


9 comments:

  1. OMG I loved this one so much! It's one of my favourites of the year! I totally agree with you on the fact that despite my interest for Rhysand in the first book, I found his actions problematic and I'm happy that SJM explained why he did it, it made sense. Also, I was waiting for something to happen between him and Feyre for so long during the book, and the wait was so worth it! It was so steamy, haha. So yes, the romance definitely took a step back in this one and the plot was thrilling, something I was used to in Throne of Glass, but not so much in ACOTAR, so I'm glad she wrote it like that. I cannot wait for the third one to come out!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wait almost killed me! I sat there reading and basically SCREAMED at them to just KISS and do all the things they both imagine, ugh god! But I liked it that way. SO MUCH TENSION. I'm also suuuuper excited for the third book but WAITING A YEAR?! Terrible!!

      Delete
  2. So.. Maybe it's me being problematically in love with Rhysand, but am I the only one who thought Rhys's actions in ACOTAR were actually quite justified? I read the part under the mountain again last week and the only really 'terrible' thing he did, was kill that Summer guy. But the summer guy was a dead man walking anyway after Amarantha had found out that he was plotting against her. Rhys killing him fast may even have been a mercy.. His actions couldn't possibly called 'good', but I understood his reasoning - even then.

    But maybe that's completely besides the point. YVONNE, you are a terrible tease. You keep hinting at all this awesome stuff and you then tell people they can read it in a couple of days. Haha. How cruel. Love the review, though! I agree 100%! Or well, maybe 90% considering the part above omg. Your goodreads progress is the best, btw! I kept reading that stuff thinking: omg omg omg and she doesn't even know what's coming next!

    Can't wait for your not-so-very-spoiler-free-review to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the knowledge we have now and WHY he did those things it's ... better? I mean, still not COMPLETELY okay but I get where he's coming from and why he did certain things - you're NOT alone, haha.

      Hahaha, my GR updates are basically a little review itself - You can see that this book drove me crazy! :D ♥

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness! It's been a while since I read this book but your review just brought back all the amazing emotions that I went through while reading it! And whew, Rhysand! I mean, enough said! Oh, I just don't know how we're all supposed to just sit here and wait for the next book because man, this was explosive! Whenever I think about this, I just fangirl so much! Amazing review, and I cannot wait to see the spoiler version! ;)

    Kim @ Divergent Gryffindor: BLOG || VLOG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I just realize that I used all exclamation marks on this comment. Oops.

      Delete
    2. First of all: I don't mind exclamation marks AT ALL - they're cool, haha. :D

      The spoiler-version is up now but beware ... it got a LITTLE BIT out of hand and is quite long - I still hope you'll be reading it. :P Thanks so much!! ♥

      Delete
  4. Oh man... I had to put the book on hold because I have some blog tours upcoming I have to read books in time for. But after those I can hopefully give my full attention to it and Rhysand. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How can you even do that?! Not being able read ... I'D DIE!! I hope you can get back to it as soon as possible!! ♥

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥