Thursday, June 2, 2016

{REVIEW} The Forbidden Wish by Jessica Khoury

Tile: The Forbidden Wish
Author: Jessica Khoury
Series: Stand-alone
Genre: Young Adult, Retelling, Fantasy
Publication: February 23rd, 2016
Rating: ★★★★☆

She is the most powerful Jinni of all. He is a boy from the streets. Their love will shake the world...

When Aladdin discovers Zahra's jinni lamp, Zahra is thrust back into a world she hasn't seen in hundreds of years—a world where magic is forbidden and Zahra's very existence is illegal. She must disguise herself to stay alive, using ancient shape-shifting magic, until her new master has selected his three wishes.

But when the King of the Jinn offers Zahra a chance to be free of her lamp forever, she seizes the opportunity—only to discover she is falling in love with Aladdin. When saving herself means betraying him, Zahra must decide once and for all: is winning her freedom worth losing her heart?
The Forbidden Wish is a retelling of Aladdin, which happens to be one of my alltime favorite Disney movies ever. You can imagine how excited I was to find out about this book, right? I was super excited and am happy to say that it lived up to my expectations even though I was still a bit disappointed - if that makes sense?

So, TFW is unlike the Disney version of Aladdin - for example, the jinni is a female called Zhara - but that really didn't disturb me. Quite the opposite! I loved the change and found it very refreshing and interesting.

"Nothing is worth betraying someone you love."

Aladdin still had his spirit and a personality I enjoyed a lot. Zhara on the other hand was more reversed and serious - probably due to her age and what she's been through already - but together they just fit. It made sense, you know? They complemented each other and made me fangirl SO MUCH. I adored them right from the beginning and was anticipating certain scenes throughout the whole book ... I even became a little bit frustrated when it took too long, haha. Either way, I loved their relationship a lot - it's slow-burn and definitely not insta-love (not really), which is great and that they're so different made this whole adventure even more enjoyable. Aladdin said and did so many great things throughtout this book which made me love him even more. Seriously, I wouldn't mind finding a thief like him in real life - he was so sweet and caring and had a way with words that just made you fall for him. I LOVED HIM!

"He is the sun and I am the moon. We must stay apart or the world will be thrown out of balance."

As of the plot, I don't want to go into too much detail - we all know how the story goes and therefore some things were predictable while others weren't. I'm generally not as disturbed by predictable scenes as other people might be ... so long as there are great characters involved and it's still interestingly written. That was definitely the case in The Forbidden Wish.

However, at times it felt a bit dragging. The beginning was action-packed but towards the middle things seemed to slow - I wouldn't have minded a few more exciting scenes but overall it was still a great retelling of Aladdin.

"All the world is in your shadow, Zahra. I cannot help but see you when I close my eyes."

So, would I recommend this? Definitely, if you're a fan of retellings and specifically Aladdin. It features strong female characters - seriously, Caspida, her Watchmaidens and Zhara are brilliant characters! -, an intriguing plot that, yes, sometimes is a little bit predictable but never boring and managed to keep me interested this whole time. It's a great book and I enjoyed it immensely!

★★★★☆

15 comments:

  1. Awesome review, Yvonne! :D I liked this book too. Not quite 5 star worthy for me but it was still a great read. Definitely waaaay better than this other Aladdin retelling I've read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's also not a 5 star for me ... it wasn't good enough but I still enjoyed it a lot! I'm glad you liked it too!! :D

      Delete
    2. I don't know if you know already but there's a free short story in the same world on Wattpad. :D

      https://www.wattpad.com/story/73545758-the-jinni

      Delete
  2. I completely agree Yvonne! This was such a great retelling and I love how Khoury really took the original Aladdin story and made it her own. And, of course, the writing was gorgeous. Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did! Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaay! I totally agree with you! It was so easy and fast to read and I just really liked the characters - they were great! I'm glad you liked it too! <3

      Delete
  3. I totally feel you! I think they're really perfect for each other, and that dancing scene really makes me squeal!! But the pacing feels a bit lagged in the middle (maybe bc they don't do anything other that laying waiting in the palace??) and I feel like something is missing... Lovely review Yvonne!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG there were actually a few scenes that made me squeal! But you're right - it was a biiiit slow at times ... I didn't mind so much in the end though, haha. Thanks so much, Tasya! :D

      Delete
  4. I also loved this book! I really liked how the author chose to do her retelling, she totally made her own story. The romance was definitely swoon-worthy and the characters were so cute together! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeees! I love Aladdin so I'm SUPER happy I liked this book and its characters! Glad you liked it as well! Thank you, Lucie! ♥

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you enjoyed this!! I've seen so many mixed reviews and I wasn't sure whether or not I should even try it, but I just LOVE retellings so much! Thanks for sharing this :D

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Retellings are AMAZING. Seriously, I can't get enough of them ... I hope you try it AND love it - looking forward to hear your thoughts if/when you read it! :P

      Delete
  6. Great review, I am so excited to get reading this now. It's been sat on my shelf for a couple of months because I got it in a book box and wasn't sure if I wanted to read it. Now I can't wait to get going with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also got it from a subscription box (FairyLoot FTW!) and was really excited - it was on my wishlist anyway and I'm super happy I even liked this book! I hope you enjoy it!! :D

      Delete
  7. Great review! I haven't read this one yet, but I'm really excited to start it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lindsey! I really hope you enjoy it!! :D

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥