Monday, June 13, 2016

{REVIEW} The King Slayer by Virginia Boecker

Title: The King Slayer
Author: Virginia Boecker
Series: The Witch Hunter #2
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Publication: June 14th, 2016
Rating: ★★★★☆

Former witch hunter Elizabeth Grey is hiding within the magically protected village of Harrow, evading the price put on her head by Lord Blackwell, the usurper king of Anglia. Their last encounter left Blackwell ruined, but his thirst for power grows stronger every day. He's readying for a war against those who would resist his rule--namely Elizabeth and the witches and wizards she now calls her allies.

Having lost her stigma, a magical source of protection and healing, Elizabeth's strength is tested both physically and emotionally. War always means sacrifice, and as the lines between good and evil blur once more, Elizabeth must decide just how far she'll go to save those she loves.
I was lucky enough to win a signed ARC copy of Virginia Boecker's The King Slayer in a giveaway she hosted on Instagram and ... oh man, was I excited! I knew I had to read this book as soon as it comes out but with this early copy I was able to dive into Elizabeth's life sooner than expected, hurrah!

Since I haven't reread the first book, I was a little confused at the beginning - I only vaguely remember the things happening in The Witch Hunter and therefore had a hard time getting into it at first. However, the author manages to "retell" a few of the things that had happened so after a while it got easier and was more understandable.

At first, I was a bit let-down by John. I absolutely adored him in the first book and while I didn't expect (or liked, for that matter) the changes he went through I think they made sense. It also kind of explains why Elizabeth was acting the way she did when they all first met. I still wasn't a huge fan of it and John actually started to annoy me a little ... I mean, ugh. It's complicated. I love him but at times I wanted to smack him hard across the cheek and shake some sense into him! It was a rollercoaster with him, to be honest ... but I still like him a lot, really, and everything's good.

Elizabeth was likeable as usual, even though she also seemed ... confused (?) at times. I remember her being a badass and not giving a fuck but obviously the happenings of book 1 changed her and made her a different person - which I understand! She's still tough and kicks ass but, as with John, I wanted to punch her more than once. Her relationship with Schuyler was amazing though and I'm glad the author showed us more of them together - I'm a huuuuge fan of Schuyler and although I was desperate to read more about him and his past (I'm just so interested in this guy!!), I was pleased with what I got anyway. Could it have been more? Sure, but maybe there'll be a novella about him in the future? *hopes*

Virginia's writing was as addictive as in the first book - it's quick and easy to read but never gets bored, she always managed to keep me interested so that's a good thing! I was surprised at some of the plot twists and expected some others but overall it was a good mixture for me and constantly wanted to know more.

I'm not sure if I liked it more than the first book and even though the ending is good I'm ... torn? It's probably no spoiler when I say something significant is happening (duh) and, yes, it makes sense and some might even say it's a good (the only?) plan but ... no. NOO. I AM NOT OKAY WITH THIS. It just disturbed me how fast they were over those things - at least it seemed that way.

Would I still recommend this book? Heck yes! No book is perfect but I did enjoy The King Slayer a lot and therefore I'm glad I read this. Also, I just had to find out how things were going to end, obviously. If you liked the first book, definitely give this a go and if you haven't read it yet - what are you waiting for? It's a great duology with awesome characters and an interesting plot/setting that'll keep you interested this whole time!

★★★★☆

6 comments:

  1. I still haven't read the first book in this series but it does sound really good! I'm not surprised that you didn't love it more than the first book. It's always an awesome bonus when the second book is just as awesome! I'll definitely need to check this out. Great review :D

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I'm really glad it turned out to be a good, kinda satisfactory ending - especially since I wasn't REALLY happy with the last duology I've read (Anna Dressed in Blood).

      I hope you'll like it when you get the chance to read them! :D

      Delete
  2. We need to start a petition for Virginia Boecker to write a book about Schuyler! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A WHOLE BOOK ... YES! I mean, I'd also be happy with a novella but an actual BOOK about him; YES PLEASE!!! ♥

      Delete
  3. Aaaah, I finished this book last week and I really enjoyed it. I'm so happy it was a duology, because there are so few of them, and it was a really good one. Like you, I was confused at the beginning of the book because I didn't remember the details, but it didn't matter that much in the end. I definitely want to read more about Schuyler, he is such an interesting character and there is so much we don't know about him. I can't wait for Virginia Boecker to write more books, I'm excited to see what will be next! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, most books are trilogies or even longer series so it's really great to have an awesome duology once in a while! But YEEEES! I need more of Schuyler - he's so interesting and ugh god, I just love him loads! ♥ Thanks so much, Lucie!

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥