Wednesday, October 12, 2016

{REVIEW} The Girl from the Well by Rin Chupeco

Title: The Girl from the Well
Author: Rin Chupeco
Genre: Young Adult, Horror, Paranormal
Series: The Girl from the Well #1
Publication: August 5th, 2014
Rating: ★★★★☆

You may think me biased, being murdered myself. But my state of being has nothing to do with the curiosity toward my own species, if we can be called such. We do not go gentle, as your poet encourages, into that good night.

A dead girl walks the streets.

She hunts murderers. Child killers, much like the man who threw her body down a well three hundred years ago.

And when a strange boy bearing stranger tattoos moves into the neighborhood so, she discovers, does something else. And soon both will be drawn into the world of eerie doll rituals and dark Shinto exorcisms that will take them from American suburbia to the remote valleys and shrines of Aomori, Japan.

Because the boy has a terrifying secret - one that would just kill to get out.
I haven't really been in the mood for reading anything at all lately ... however, I do wanted to get back into reading again and because it's October already (Halloween, yay!) and the only genre that remotely interested me was (YA) horror, I just had to start this book. I devoured the first 50% in one sitting and read way past into the night - actually it was morning already, oops - and even though I took a break of a week or so before I continued, I was as fascinated and excited about it as at the beginning.

I've already read a few YA horror books and have a few favorites and The Girl From The Well is definitely gonna join this list! It's creepy and scary and feels like a really well-made movie back when they still scared the crap out of me, oooh yes! How about I share what I liked most? Sounds good? So here we go!

1. Okiku

She's such a great character and even though she did terrible things, I adore her. Maybe I shouldn't but in this case I can't look at it any differently - I'm like Tark here. #sorrynotsorry I liked that she's not this typical ghost that just seeks revenge or is just friendly and good. She's both of this and I liked the balance between being good and evil.

2. Okiku being "bad"

I have to mention this seperately because I really ... liked? enjoyed? - that sounds so wrong - those scenes. I don't wanna spoil anything in case you want to read the book too but they just felt satisfying. They deserved it.

3. The mind games

Like, there's so much I didn't understand at first - I assumed I know what's going on but most of the time I was wrong and fooled, which I liked a lot! Yes, sometimes it really is predictable but there are definitely a few things you won't see coming.

Anyone who's familiar with the movies The Ring and The Grudge and actually liked them will love this book! It's equally frightening and has brilliant characters that handle all of this "ghost stuff" accordingly, in my opinion. I would freak out, to be honest, but I'm a whimp so that's to be expected. I'd definitely recommend reading it and already can't wait to dive into the second book!

★★★★☆

6 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it! The second book is great too. And it totally deserves a third book but I don't know if the author will ever write one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it's a duology? Oh okay, I didn't know! I heard the second book is actually even better ... is that true? I already can't wait!

      Delete
  2. This is the perfect book for October! It sounds so creepy and atmospheric. I'm definitely going to have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! I liked it a lot and I hope you will too, Zoe! Thanks so much! <3

      Delete
  3. Ahh I plan to read this book next, so I'm really glad you liked it! It definitely gives more motivation for me to read it asap.

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you end up enjoying it as much as I did! :D

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥